Thursday, May 8, 2008

Speaking of...

old friends, I got a birthday text message today from a very old friend. We met in college and we were best of friends right from the start. We did some crazy things together. She held my hand and wiped my tears through some really difficult times, she encouraged me when I needed it, we partied together, we even named a drink together...The Reddington...which I still drink sometimes when I am at a party. And the truth is every time I make that drink I think of her. She was there when I got engaged and she was a bridesmaid when I got married and she came and helped to clean my house a week after my first son was born. Needless to say she moved away and my life got really crazy with a constantly sick baby and the truth being I suck at staying in touch with people and we lost touch. I don't know why, because she is honestly the type of person you should never lose touch with. She is the type of person that you want to grow old with and re tell crazy stories with time and time again.

Today I got a text message asking wishing me birthday wishes and I called the number just to see who it was because I didn't have a clue. Needless to say I was mighty surprised at the voice on the other end of the phone. I was touched that such an old friend that I have loved for so many years would reach out and remember my birthday. I had been meaning to write her(point be taken of how crappy I am at keeping in touch) to let her know that I had lost my great-grandparents and my grandmother at the beginning of the year and she told me that she already knew because she had read my blog and then someone else filled her in. I was touched that she still reads my blog and thinks about me. You know sometimes you wonder if the people who meant so much to you actually felt that you meant something to them. Today I found out that our friendship was really mutual and that she must still think of me too. I was even more touched when I checked my mailbox(the snail mail) and I found a card with a very nice thought inside and I remembered all the great memories and why I loved her so dearly. I remembered what an awesome friend she had always been and will always be. I am really hoping that we can keep in touch better and when she comes home we can see each other once in a while and hopefully we will grow old and when we are old we will retell the stories about a drink called "The Reddington" time and time again.

You know who you are and now I know that you actually read this so thank you for making what wasn't such a great birthday an awesome birthday after all. I know Sylvia is up there working and making it great through those people in my life. I hope I get to see you soon...Thank you for all the great times we had and thank you for still being a friend.
Andrea

No comments: